Undoubtedly, these uncertain times, insecurity and permanent changes in all orders of life should lead us to reflect on ourselves, seek how to strengthen us as people and how to positively impact our environment. Discovering our purpose of life can clearly give us an answer to many of the situations that afflict us today, it can lead us to change our lifestyle to better face any external situation, it allows us to become the architects of our existence.
What is the purpose of your life? What is your vital motivation? These are fundamental questions to which we must answer if our goal is to live a meaningful life and leave a legacy.
But what is the purpose of life?
It is the meaning or purpose of our existence, it is our vital objective. Our for why. It is an individual and unique theme that results from self-knowledge, reflection and discovery of our vital motivations. It does not obey the demands of our environment, on the contrary, it is based on our selves.
It is denominated in various ways but the most used are: the purpose, the essence or the element as defined by Ken Robinson.
Why establish it? To give our life meaning, guide our actions, and allow us to project our life accordingly. Connecting with our essence, live in harmony and happiness.
It allows us to appropriate our destiny. Transform our energy into creative energy. In order to become the protagonists of our own existence.
Once you find your purpose you must follow it and act accordingly every day, to give meaning to your existence and persist in it. The moment you give meaning to your life you begin to enjoy every moment; the most routine task becomes a moment of satisfaction. You can overcome adversity, problems and changes in your environment because you are focused on the essential; on what you can and want to control. As Epictetus said, what matters is not what happens but how we react to what happens to us.
How to find your purpose? There are many methods and approaches, however the important issue is to use the most suitable tool for each person.
Here I will mention only three approaches:
- Logotherapy founded by Viktor Frank, an Austrian neuropsychiatrist known worldwide for his work ‘Man’s Search for Meaning’ which tells of his experience in concentration camps. He created and developed the form of psychotherapy centered on the meaning of life.
- Simple tools of visualization or imagination of the day of your funeral by reading our legacy or the epithet on your grave and from that propose specific and deep questions.
- The “Ikigai” that comes from Japanese philosophy. The first book to address the subject was published in 1966, later Akihiro Hasegawa, a clinical psychologist and associate professor at Toyo Eiwa University, coined the term in the Japanese colloquial language. Then it was popularized and developed by several authors including Héctor García and Francesc Miralles.
There is no direct translation of the word ‘ikigai’, but experts suggest that it involves two terms. ‘Iki’, or life and ‘gai’, which means to be valuable or worthwhile.
So, what makes our life meaningful. Something that gives us strength and courage to get up every day.
The purpose of life or Ikigai combines four concepts: mission, vocation, profession and passion. The purpose or reason for being is the middle point between these elements is the focal point in which all these variables converge.
The method proposes answers to four basic questions:
- What do you really love to do?
- What you do very well, what you are very good at doing?
- What the world needs from you, which transcends your interests and is related to your environment?
- Why do you get paid?
In conclusion, how can you live with purpose?
By defining what gives you happiness, what you are passionate about, what you love to do, starting from your strengths, talents, values and principles. Keeping in mind what you contribute to your environment, to society, to humanity.
Whether you already live your purpose part time or not at all, it is a time to reflect and redirect our lives to leave the legacy we want to leave, to live in harmony and happiness.
If you are interested in this topic and have a genuine desire to find your purpose in life, contact us, at Euro Business Coach we will be happy to accompany you on your journey.
How beneficial did you find this post? I would love to hear from you! I invite you to share your thoughts on this article on your social networks.